When clients come to our firm looking for a divorce lawyer Baltimore MD families count on, we understand that they’re likely going through a hard time. For over 50 years, the family behind Greenberg Law Offices has provided legal counsel to residents in and around Baltimore. We know that family matters can be personal and complicated. When a divorce is the likeliestoutcome for a family, it’s imperative that you have access to a trusted divorce lawyer Baltimore MD communities depend on.
Divorce, Separation, and Annulment: What’s the difference?
One of the first questions you and your Baltimore divorce lawyer may discuss is whether or not you’ll be seeking a legal separation, a divorce, or an annulment of your marriage. All three options provide legal documentation for parting ways with your spouse.
Partners often choose to separate before getting divorced. This allows the couple to reside separately for a period of time without going through the lengthy process of filing for a divorce. Some couples decide that they would like to remain permanently and legally separated but do not want to get an official divorce — often for financial or religious reasons.
A divorce allows a couple to end their marriage permanently. The traditional divorce process allows for negotiations of child custody, property divisions, and alimony. Some divorces are granted for specific reasons, such as infidelity or abuse, but many others occur simply because of irreconcilable differences.
An annulment dissolves a marriage and states that it was never legally sound in the first place. There are several possible reasons why an annulment may be granted. The most common reason is that one spouse was deceptive; other reasons include incest, bigamy, or force. Individuals seeking an annulment still have the ability to consult with a divorce lawyer Baltimore MD residents trust.
How is property divided in a divorce?
Maryland is an equitable division state, which means that each spouse owns any assets or income that he/she individually acquired during the marriage. However, a judge still has the ability to divide marital assets and communal assets as is deemed fair. If one spouse legally owns every substantial asset and has been the sole breadwinner during the marriage, a judge will likely divide this property so that the other spouse isn’t left empty handed.
Is mediation a good way to handle a divorce?
Mediation can be a very strong option for some couples. The mediation process allows a couple to negotiate important issues — such as the division of property and child custody — without going to court. Each partner may consult with their own divorce lawyer Baltimore MD families know and trust, and then the entire group may convene with a trained mediator. The mediator will then make objective suggestions and each partner will have to decide if they agree with the suggestions.
Mediation tends to be faster and less expensive than a courtroom case. However, it is not the perfect solution in every case. Partners who cannot talk without arguing may find that it’s necessary to hire a divorce lawyer in Baltimore MD and present their case to a judge.
Why is it a good idea to hire a divorce lawyer Baltimore MD can provide?
If you plan to get a divorce, it may be in your best interest to hire a divorce lawyer Baltimore MD trusts. A divorce can get quite complicated and it may be helpful to have a qualified attorney by your side. Here are several benefits of hiring a divorce lawyer:
1. A Divorce Lawyer Offers Objective Advice: For obvious reasons, a divorce can be incredibly stressful. When you are going through a divorce, you may feel a variety of different emotions, like sadness, resentment, and anger. These emotions can skew your judgment and cause you to make decisions that you later regret. With a divorce lawyer in Baltimore MD on your side, you can feel more confident that you’re making smart, rational decisions.
2. A Divorce Lawyer Can Help With the Paperwork: The typical divorce comes with mountains of paperwork that includes complex legal terms and may be difficult to understand. If you become frustrated and make a mistake, it can delay the entire process. That is why it is so important to work with a divorce lawyer Baltimore MD relies on. Your lawyer may help you fill out this paperwork in an efficient manner and without any errors.
3. A Divorce Lawyer May Protect Your Rights: If your divorce is particularly thorny, it’s essential to make sure that you’re protecting your best interests. Your ex-spouse’s attorney, for example, may try to offer you a settlement that is unfair. A divorce lawyer Baltimore MD respects will not let anyone take advantage of you. Your lawyer may protect your rights in court and make sure you are treated fairly.
4. A Divorce Lawyer Can Reduce Stress: Working with an experienced Baltimore divorce lawyer can take a lot of stress off your back. Your lawyer may do all the legwork, so you have more time to relax and take care of your family. If you have questions or concerns about your divorce, you shouldn’t hesitate to give your lawyer a call.
5. A Divorce Lawyer May Handle Communication With Your Ex-Spouse: If you and your ex-spouse ended things on bad terms, you may feel uneasy about communicating with him or her. You may be afraid of getting into arguments and reopening old wounds. That is what a divorce lawyer Baltimore MD depends on is there for. Your lawyer may handle all communication with your ex-spouse, so you do not have to.
Tips for Getting Through a Divorce Hearing
During a divorce hearing, a judge makes a decision about a particular issue in your divorce, like alimony or child custody. If attending a hearing scares you, know that you do not have to go alone or without a divorce lawyer Baltimore MD families turn to for legal guidance. Many people get nervous about divorce hearings. However, if you properly prepare for it, you can ease your nerves. Here are some helpful tips for getting through a divorce hearing:
1. Learn the Court’s Rules About Bringing Cell Phones, Computers and Other Items
Before you go to your divorce hearing, find out what items the court does and doesn’t allow you to bring into the courtroom. Some courthouses won’t let you bring cellphones and other electronic devices. If you bring these items, you will have to rush back to your car to drop off your stuff, which can make you late to your hearing.
2. Leave Your Home Early
It’s a good idea to leave a little early for your divorce hearing. You never know how bad traffic will be or how long it will take to get through security. The last thing you want is to be late to your hearing. Judges frown upon people being late to court and may factor that into their decisions about your divorce. When you hire a divorce lawyer Baltimore MD individuals rely on, they may want to review information with you before the proceeding starts.
3. Dress Properly
Dressing appropriately for your divorce hearing is crucial. Make sure your clothes are professional and clean and don’t show too much skin. Whether you like it or not, what you wear will make an impression on the judge. If your clothes are dirty or too revealing, the judge may think that you are being disrespectful. If it isn’t something you would wear to church or a job interview, you probably shouldn’t wear it to court.
4 Avoid Interrupting Your Spouse
No matter what, you should avoid interrupting your spouse while he or she speaks. Otherwise, the judge may think that you are being disruptive and rule against you. If you believe your spouse isn’t telling the truth, wait until it’s your turn to speak to address your concerns with the judge. Speak in a calm voice and avoid name calling when you speak. If you remain professional, the judge will likely respect you more.
5. Don’t Make Up Information
If you don’t know the answer to a question from your spouse’s divorce lawyer in Baltimore MD, you shouldn’t just make something up. It can come back to haunt you later. Just simply tell the court that you don’t know. If you don’t understand the question, ask for clarification. If you hire a divorce lawyer Baltimore MD residents choose from our firm, you can gain a full understanding of the questions you will likely be asked.
6. Bring Your Baltimore Divorce Lawyer
It’s essential to have your divorce lawyer by your side during the hearing. He or she will coach you on what to say and prevent you from making mistakes that could hurt your case. With a skilled lawyer next to you, you may feel less nervous during the hearing.
If you have a divorce hearing coming up, contact reputable divorce lawyers as soon as possible. He or she can represent you and protect your best interests. If you have a lawyer by your side, the other side will be less likely to take advantage of you.
Call a Respected Divorce Lawyer Baltimore MD Offers
Hiring a legal representation may make the divorce process easier, so do not wait to consult with a divorce lawyer Baltimore MD locals recommend. At our firm, we offer free consultations to prospective clients who are facing legal issues and want to understand their options. We know that divorce proceedings can be very difficult and stressful, but it’s our job to help our clients manage it efficiently and effectively.
To schedule a complimentary consultation with a trusted divorce lawyer Baltimore MD has to offer, or for more information, contact the Greenberg Law Offices today at 410-539-5250.