DUI Lawyer in Frederick, MD
DUI charges are levied against approximately a million drivers annually, as a DUI lawyer in Frederick, Maryland knows. Whether intentional or not, a driver can be accused of DUI or DWI if they are found to have consumed alcohol while driving. It is the driver’s responsibility to be aware of how much alcohol they have consumed before operating a vehicle. Drivers can face harsh penalties for these offenses, such as jail time and steep fines that often amount to hundreds of dollars. If you have been charged with DUI, there are legal options that you can take advantage of. It is not too late to fight your charge. You may feel overwhelmed if you are facing a DUI charge that can tarnish your record. However, you have the right to speak to a lawyer about your particular case. A trusted lawyer such as Greenberg Law Offices can protect your rights and fight for you in the courtroom.
DUI Frederick lawyer in MD
Experiencing a DUI charge can have a dramatic effect on your life, and you may be unsure of what to do. It is normal to feel anxious about the consequences, but doing nothing about the charge will not help you. If you are facing a DUI charge, immediately find out what your legal options are so that you can have the best chance of fighting it. Drivers should take a DUI charge seriously if they want their case to be handled properly and effectively. You must be aware of your full rights and responsibilities as an individual at the focus of such a charge. You can learn about your rights by speaking to a DUI lawyer.
A qualified DUI Frederick, MD lawyer who has extensive experience in criminal cases, can provide you with the knowledge and resources to prepare for your case. A DUI lawyer knows the DUI laws and has extensive experience helping clients fight them will use their resources to prepare the strongest possible case for you. They will gather the facts and evidence, as well as speak to key individuals and investigators. They do the research and negotiating work for you to get a fair deal that can potentially result in a reduced charge or sentence. Instead of doing the difficult work of fighting a charge on your own, you can rely on a lawyer to take on the most difficult and complex parts of your case for you.
Maryland Laws on Impaired Driving
It’s important to note how DUI and DWI charges are distinguished according to Maryland law. A driver is charged with driving under the influence (DUI) if they have a blood alcohol content (BAC) of .08 or higher. In contrast, a driver is charged with driving while impaired if their BAC is less than .08, but a police officer has determined they are impaired.
If you are accused of driving while impaired, there are multiple types of evidence examined to determine which charges to levy against you. Results from sobriety tests, breathalyzer tests, or bodily fluid tests can be used as evidence. It can be confusing to understand DUI laws, so ask a lawyer if you do not understand a law and how they can be applied to your case.
Preventing DUI Charges
Every driver can do their part in decreasing the likelihood of being charged with DUI in the first place. There are simple ways drivers can practice safe driving and prevent themselves and those around them from committing DUI offenses:
- Monitor your alcohol consumption. Alcohol affects everyone differently. For one person their hand-eye coordination may be affected even if they consumed an amount within the legal limit. Always be aware of how much alcohol you have consumed.
- Choose a designated driver before drinking. If you are at an event with a group, decide which person should stay sober so they can drive safely.
- Do not let friends or individuals around you drink and drive. If you notice that someone is attempting to drive a vehicle after consuming alcohol, confront them so that they don’t operate the vehicle.
- Use a taxi or ride-share services. If you cannot appoint a designated driver to take you to a destination, hail a cab or a ride-sharing app. It is better to be safe and there are plenty of ride-sharing services available.
Contact a Skilled Lawyer that Frederick, MD Trusts
You may think that a DUI charge can be manageable to handle by yourself. However, doing your research does not replace the diverse experience and specialized legal background a skilled criminal defense lawyer will have. It is a common belief among many people charged with DUI that they can simply combat the charge alone because they do not want to deal with the hassle of hiring a lawyer. While it may be an inconvenience, you face the risk of losing your case if you do not fight a charge with the help of a lawyer. At no initial cost, a discussion with a lawyer at the right time can mean the difference between a minor or severe charge. Your charge may even be dropped if you work with an exceptionally skilled lawyer. Discover how you can obtain urgent legal assistance by scheduling an appointment with a DUI lawyer in Frederick, MD, today.
Managing DUI Charges
Our DUI lawyer Frederick, MD residents recommend should be one of your first calls if you have been arrested and charged with a DUI. While you may have felt like you could drive after drinking, it’s common for drivers not to realize that they were driving with a higher BAC than they may have thought. Consuming even a minimal amount of alcohol can be enough to affect your senses. Driving under the influence can have lasting consequences, and if convicted, the impact could be life-long. Our team at Greenberg Law Office has the experience necessary to assist during this challenging time. Our support can ensure that you receive the best outcome possible based on your current situation.
Driving Under the Influence
When a driver has a blood alcohol content (BAC) of more than .08%, they may be facing a DUI should they get behind the wheel. It should come as no surprise that many drivers may not truly realize their threshold tolerance, and there are several factors at play when it comes to BAC. Your BAC will rely upon: whether you are male or female, your height and weight, the number of drinks consumed and the type, and whether you ate before consuming alcohol. Sometimes a driver may even get behind the wheel, not believing they are impaired, only to find that their BAC is higher than they expected. When someone is behind the wheel after consuming alcohol, they could be at risk for severe consequences.
Drivers who have had alcohol tend to assume that just because they believe they are driving well, they are okay to drive. However, sometimes you do not know the extent of your impairment until a certain scenario. You could feel sober and okay for the most part, but you are still putting yourself and others around you in danger. For example, you could perceive that you are driving normally after consuming alcohol, but you may not realize that your reaction time may not be as quick as it would be if you were sober. So, if an animal suddenly appeared on the road, you may not be able to avoid it in time.
DUI’s Can Result in Serious Consequences
The severity of a DUI depends on many factors. Even first-time offenders could find themselves facing consequences that hold both a social and judicial impact. Subsequent charges for DUIs can carry even more significant effects. No person should be left to manage the consequences without our DUI lawyer’s assistance in Frederick, Maryland, as you may be facing:
- Legal Fees
- Jail Time
- Community Service
- Alcohol Classes
Other consequences can be incredibly impactful to a person’s day-to-day life. As a result of a conviction, you could be facing costly expenses, the installation of an ignition interlock device, and even loss of license.
Start Your Search for a DUI Lawyer Immediately
Not only can a DUI be nerve-wracking to manage, but the potential consequences along with the social stigma can also be challenging to deal with. To move forward in the wake of such charges, a lawyer will be the best way to take control of your current situation. Our team can assist, but before setting your sites on a particular firm, it’s in your best interest to carefully research area lawyers by:
- Asking people you know for recommendations
- Conducting a thorough Internet search
- Reading online reviews
- Meeting with a lawyer for a consultation
Don’t be persuaded by the allure of cost savings associated with representing yourself. The extensive consequences you stand to face should be enough to motivate those charged with a DUI to at least consult with a legal professional from Greenberg Law Offices for guidance on how best to move forward. Allow our experienced team to provide you with the guidance you need during this difficult time. With the assistance of our Frederick, Maryland DUI lawyer, we can ensure that you receive the best possible outcome for your situation; call today.
Common Myths About DUI Charges
Getting charged with a DUI can be a terrifying event. You’re worried about the possibility of going to jail and how the charge may affect your future employment prospects. It’s important to learn about all the facts behind your charge. Here are some common misconceptions a DUI lawyer in Frederick, MD doesn’t want you to believe:
- A DUI Charge Isn’t a Big Deal: Some people assume that getting a DUI charge is a minor offense. The truth is, however, that a DUI can have many negative consequences on your life. Even if this is your first offense and you don’t get sentenced to jail, you may still get your driver’s license taken away and have to pay hefty fines.
- If You Get Charged with a DUI, You Should Plead Guilty: Unfortunately, many people assume that once they’re arrested for a DUI, that’s it. However, just because you were charged with a DUI, doesn’t mean you have to automatically plead guilty. There could be many holes that could get your case dismissed. For instance, if the arresting officer didn’t have a valid reason to pull you over in the first place, your case may get thrown out.
- You Can Only Get Charged with a DUI in a Vehicle: You can get arrested for a DUI if you’re caught operating any type of motorized vehicle. These may include boats, motorcycles, jet-skis, ATVS and snowmobiles.
- You Don’t Need to Hire a Lawyer: A DUI case can involve many complexities, so it’s in your best interest to hire an experienced DUI lawyer in Frederick, MD. He or she can build you a strong defense and protect your legal rights. With a qualified lawyer on your side, you will have a higher chance of getting a favorable outcome in your case.
- Coffee Will Sober You Up: Some people assume that drinking a cup of coffee will sober them up, allowing them to operate a vehicle safely. This just isn’t true. Coffee doesn’t remove any alcohol from your system, so you won’t be any less sober.
- Police Will Help You If You Talk to Them: This is one of the most dangerous myths to believe about DUI charges. The police may ask to speak to you about your case, but they aren’t here to help you. They only want to gather information to use against you. Don’t agree to talk to the police without a DUI lawyer in Frederick, MD present.