If you were recently charged with a felony, you should talk to a felony lawyer Harford MD residents trust. A felony can carry some heft consequences, so it’s important to have someone with knowledge and experience on your side. A lawyer will create the possible defense for your case and ensure your legal rights are protected:
How Can a Felony Impact Your Life?
Most defendants who are facing felony charges are most concerned about spending time in prison. While prison time is a major consequence of getting a felony conviction, it isn’t the only thing you have to worry about. Unfortunately, a felony can negatively impact your life in many ways.
- Trouble Finding a Job: Even after you have completed your sentence, a felony conviction will stay on your record. This can make it more difficult for you to find a job in the future. Many employers conduct backgrounds on job candidates and may be reluctant to hire someone with a felony record. It may be especially difficult to find a job that involves dealing with people or money.
- Inability to Bear Arms: The right to bear arms is a constitutional right that many people take for granted. If you get convicted of a felony, you may lose your right to own firearms. If you live in a dangerous neighborhood, this can be especially troublesome.
- Difficulty Renting an Apartment: A criminal lawyer Harford MD residents count on can also attest that people with felony records have more difficulty renting apartments. Just like employers, many landlords run background checks on prospective tenants. They want to make sure each tenant is trustworthy and won’t put the building or other residents at risk. If a tenant has a felony, especially if it involves violence or drugs, he or she may have trouble securing a place to live.
Should You Hire a Lawyer?
If you’re dealing with a felony charge, it’s a mistake not to hire an experienced felony lawyer in Harford MD. Here are a few benefits of having legal representation:
- Reduce Penalties: With a qualified criminal lawyer on your side, you have a much better chance of getting your penalties reduced. He or she is well versed in criminal law and will try to find ways to reduce your charges. For example, if you committed a non-violent felony and have an otherwise clean record, your lawyer may try to reduce your charge to a misdemeanor.
- Protect You from Police: No matter what they may tell you, the police aren’t your friend. They’re only looking to get information out of you that can later be used against you in court. If you hire an experienced lawyer, he or she won’t allow the police to ask illegal questions that could hurt your case.
- Save Money: Although hiring a felony lawyer isn’t cheap, it may help you save more money in the long run. He or she can improve your chances of getting the best possible outcome, which could help you keep your job.
If you were charged with a felony, schedule a consultation with a felony lawyer in Harford MD.