How To Seek Justice If Your Rights Are Violated

How To Seek Justice If Your Rights Are Violated

Criminal Defense Attorney

If you have had your constitutional rights violated, you are probably eager to seek justice. Luckily, this is a rare occurrence for most citizens, but if it does happen to you, there are systems in place to help you achieve justice. These kinds of violations can be boiled down to three main categories:

  • Rights violated by a government official
  • Rights violated by an employer
  • Rights of a large group have been violated

Remember, if your rights were violated by an individual citizen, you should pursue criminal charges. Systematic constitutional right violations are more complicated. Learn more about what you should do in one of these specific situations.

Government Official

It is unfortunate that government representatives may sometimes violate citizens’ rights, but when it happens there are actions you can take. The most common instance of this kind of violation involves police officers, although it can happen with other officials, such as school administrators. Section 1983 of the U.S. Code is the tool in place for citizens to sue government officials or entities when their rights have been violated. The most common use for this tool is when police officers make a wrongful arrest or use excessive force during an arrest.


If one of your constitutional rights is violated while working, the tool you have at your disposal is very simple. The Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, or EEOC, accepts complaints for exactly this behavior. Once you have filed a complaint, they will investigate. This will result in one of two things happening. Hopefully, the EEOC will be able to resolve the issue. If they cannot, you are free to file a lawsuit against the individual or entity that violated your rights in the normal courts. Keep in mind that you are required to file a complaint within 180 days of the violation.

Large Group

If you are only a lone member of a large group whose rights were violated, the best course of action is to join a class action lawsuit. If there is already such a case being carried out, it is a good idea to join it so you can be compensated if the case is successful. If there is no such case, although a lot more work, you can begin to organize a lawsuit yourself or gather support from other members of the group. These groups may include demographics or workers in a particular field. No matter what situation you are in, there are ways to get justice for wrongdoings against you. Find a Criminal Defense Attorney Fairfax, VA who can help you.

Thanks to Dave Albo – Attorney for their insight into criminal law and how to seek justice if your rights are violated.

Greenberg Law Offices