One person is injured or killed in a truck accident every 16 minutes. The United States Department of Transportation estimates that over 500,000 truck accidents occur every year. Given these numbers, it is important for drivers to understand and recognize the risks they face every day when sharing the road with eighteen-wheelers and other large commercial trucks.
If you or a family member has just been injured in a commercial truck accident, call a truck accident lawyer in Baltimore, MD from Greenberg Law Offices to explore your legal rights and options.
For more than 50 years, the truck accident lawyers Baltimore, MC trusts from Greenberg Law Offices have been helping victims and their loved ones receive maximum compensation. Our case experience is broad and has included injuries of all severities as well as loss of life. When any of the following trucks caused you harm, please email or call our firm.
- Cement truck
- Delivery truck
- Mobile crane
- Refrigeration truck
- Log carrier
- Construction truck
For an immediate consultation, at no cost to you, reach out to a truck accident lawyer in Baltimore, MD from Greenberg Law Offices.
What You Should Do After a Truck Accident
Truck accidents generally cause serious, if not catastrophic injuries. The chances of you being able to remain at the scene without being taken immediately to the hospital are slim. The following advice assumes that you sought medical treatment after the accident. If this is not true, you should do so regardless of whether you are in pain. Failure to get a medical exam could result in a case dismissal.
- Report the accident to your insurance company
- File a police report, and get a copy
- Take photos of the scene and injuries
- Ask any witnesses for their contact details
- Avoid communicating with any other insurance company
Ideally, you should contact a truck accident lawyer in Baltimore, MD as soon as possible. A lawyer can help with the above in addition to:
- Investigating the accident
- Communicate with all insurance companies
- Gather evidence from black box data, log books, and other sources
- Negotiate the value of your claim
- Obtain a fair settlement or go to trial
Paying for a Truck Accident Lawyer
Many victims fail to seek legal representation because they have concerns about the fees. As a truck accident lawyer Baltimore, MD relies on, we take on 99% of all personal injury cases as a contingency fee. This means you will start with a consultation that will involve a complete evaluation of your case. If we believe you have a strong case, we may handle it on contingency. You won’t have to pay anything up front. Rather, our legal fees will be a percentage of your settlement or verdict. If we do not recover money, you will not pay anything. Rest assured, our firm seeks to obtain maximum damages so that all of your losses, now and in the future, are covered.
Waiting to File a Claim
Many victims decide to wait a few months before exploring their legal options. Yes, you can do this, but it is not recommended. Even though you may have 2-3 years to file a claim, depending on the state, the longer you wait, the more likely it will be for evidence to be destroyed. Furthermore, if any government entity or organization was involved, the deadline to file is reduced to 3-6 months on average. The point is that you should not wait. In fact, you may not be able to afford to wait. Act now, and call a truck accident lawyer in Baltimore, MD.
We Stand By You
If you are ready to find out how you can cover your medical bills and other financial losses that resulted from a truck accident, call a truck accident lawyer Baltimore, MD trusts from Greenberg Law Offices right now.
Holding the Trucking Company and their Driver Responsible
Federal and state laws require Trucking companies to ensure that their vehicles, trailers and drivers do not endanger other drivers on the road. Many oIf you would like to learn more about your rights, contact the Greenberg Law Offices to speak with a truck accident lawyer Baltimore Maryland offers. If you have been injured in a collision with a truck, you have the right to recover your damages from the at-fault party.f these safety rules are contained in the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations, which specify everything from how often the trucks have to be inspected and when a driver has to be medically tested to how many hours a driver may drive in a 24 hour period.
Motor vehicle laws and motor carrier regulations can be complicated. A Baltimore MD truck accident lawyer from Greenberg Law Offices may walk you through the legal process. For a free consultation with one of our attorneys, call us at (410) 539-5250. The following general information may be helpful in advance of meeting with a truck accident lawyer in Baltimore MD.
In addition to the motor vehicle laws that every driver in America must follow, there are federal and state laws specific to truckers. When they don’t follow those laws and cause an accident which injures you, they can be held liable. A truck accident lawyer Baltimore MD injury victims hire may determine which of the following laws the trucker broke:
- Licensing. Commercial truckers are required to hold a commercial driver’s license and to keep it current. Depending on the type of vehicle and freight they haul, they may also need various endorsements. Without the proper licensing and endorsements, a driver cannot legally operate their truck. If a driver was not qualified to drive the truck involved in your accident, that driver may be held liable.
- Hours of service. Truckers must rest a certain number of hours between driving stints. This is to help prevent accidents caused by drivers who fall asleep at the wheel or unable to react fast enough to avoid hazards. A seasoned truck accident lawyer Baltimore MD commuters turn to for representation can review the trucker’s driving log. By comparing the log to arrival times and other pieces of information, the attorney can establish that the driver had driven for too long.
- Truck maintenance. Trucks often have a lot of miles on them and are driven in all types of conditions. By law they must be maintained, inspected, and serviced on a regular basis. If a manufacturer recalls a part then the part must be replaced or otherwise dealt with as per the recall. If a defective part caused the accident which led to your injury, your attorney may name the manufacturer as a defendant. A skilled truck accident lawyer Baltimore MD drivers recommend from Greenberg Law Offices has experience pursuing multi-party claims and lawsuits. Our attorneys have helped thousands of personal injury victims in complex claims and lawsuits.
- Maximum load. The amount a trucker can haul at one time is based on the size of his truck. Generally, a single axle truck can haul as much as 20,000 pounds and two-axle trucks can haul as much as 34,000 pounds. If a truck driver overloads his truck and causes an accident, a truck accident lawyer Baltimore MD relies on may investigate what the truck was hauling and the last time it was weighed.
- Quality control and product liability. The individual components on a truck are regulated in the manufacturing process and in the future repair process. It’s important that these parts are in good working condition at all times. If a defect in a part of the truck causes an accident, you may have a product liability case. Your truck accident lawyer Baltimore MD trusts may be able to advise you of your next steps.
- Hazardous waste. Some trucks haul hazardous waste materials and it’s crucial that the driver follows proper safety regulations. The Office of Hazardous Materials Safety (OHMS) creates these regulations, so your lawyer may check with these guidelines to determine if the truck driver was negligent. You could have a claim against the driver, the driver’s company, and/or the company that ordered the shipment of the hazardous materials.
To win your case, we need to prove that the driver, or another relevant party (such as the truck company or mechanic), was responsible for causing your accident. In some cases, we may be able to argue that several parties are technically liable, depending on the details of your case.
A truck accident lawyer Baltimore MD drivers hire to fight for them will tell you that the critical component of a case is negligence. There are many things that could point towards negligence, and the responsibility may be on the driver or on another party. The key is working with a skilled and trusted Baltimore truck accident lawyer as soon as possible after the accident.
When you talk with a truck accident lawyer Baltimore MD residents recommend, you may ask us about what damages you can expect to be compensated for. This depends on the details of your case, but there are some general categories in truck accident cases.
Your damages may include:
- Medical expenses: Ambulance fees, hospital charges, doctor visits, and any other applicable medical care required after your accident.
- Pain and suffering: Physical and mental suffering caused as a result of the accident by stress, pain, anxiety, etc.
- Lost wages: Any time lost from work caused by the accident. This may include the initial recovery period as well as follow up health care appointments after the accident.
- Lost earning capacity: If your injuries from the accident are severe enough, you may be eligible for damages based on your future inability to earn money. A truck accident lawyer Baltimore MD relies on may be able to help you estimate this amount.
- Loss of companionship: This comes up most often in wrongful death cases in which an accident resulted in the loss of a loved one. However, there are cases in which the accident may have resulted in a loss of affection/relations in the marriage.
Free Case Review
When a truck accident lawyer in Baltimore MD proves that the trucker broke the law and harmed you as a result of their negligence, it’s your right to receive compensation. The amount of compensation is directly related to how you were harmed and the amount of your damages. Call the Greenberg Law Offices at (410) 539-5250 to learn the value of your case from an experienced Maryland truck accident lawyer.
“Greenberg Law Offices was wonderful to work with. They are extremely responsive and resolved my issue. I would highly recommend using them for any of your legal needs.”