The repercussions of a DUI conviction are very serious. Regardless of whether or not you have a clean criminal record, you could face exorbitant fines, time in jail, or even lose your license. In order to mitigate the consequences, it’s a good idea to retain an experienced attorney for their expertise. A DUI conviction could not only have serious consequences for you but could also impact those around you.
You Could Hurt or Kill Another Person
- There could be serious ramifications of drinking and driving that impact others. You risk injuring or killing someone as a result.
- This could result in further legal ramifications if the victim’s family decids to hire an attorney and bring you to court.
- You could be ordered to pay financial damages to the family if you are found guilty of negligence.
- If convicted, the DUI will permanently be on your record.
- It is common for a landlord to run background checks on potential tenants. With a criminal history it may be difficult to get approval from a landlord to be a tenant in an apartment.
- A DUI conviction could prevent you from attaining employment if you are looking for a job. Most employers do not like to hire people with a criminal history.
- At times, jobs require employees to drive a vehicle. A potential employer may choose not to hire you or be unable to hire you if you have a record.
May Have to Pay Large Fines
- You will have to pay considerable fines if you receive a DUI conviction.
- If it is your first offense you may be ordered to pay as much as $500 or even more by the courts.
- Higher fines may be required in the event that this is not your first DUI.
- A fee may be required if you qualify for a work release program,
Serving Jail Time
- Jail time may be ordered if you are convicted of a DUI.
- It is highly likely that you will spend time in jail if you have had a DUI before.
- If you injured or killed someone, while under the influence and were convicted, you could be sentenced to spend a long time in jail.
- As a result of spending time in jail, you are away from your family and may even lose your job.
A skilled lawyer, like a DUI attorney Phoenix AZ can count on, should be consulted with immediately if you have been charged with Driving Under the Influence. An attorney specializing in DUIs, may be able to get a plea bargain in your favor, even if there is a lot of information that supports a DUI conviction. Contact a distinguished attorney to schedule a consultation as they do not often charge for the initial meeting.
Thanks to our friends and contributors from Lorona Mead for their insight into repercussions of a DUI.