The Process of Divorce
?A divorce lawyer Baltimore locals recommend understands very well that when it comes to the divorce process, it involves many tasks, paperwork, and challenges. Depending on the reasons of what led to the divorce, both spouses can end their marriage amicably or with much hostility. Even in the best case scenario, you are likely to have many questions about what will happen. Below, we go into detail about divorce paperwork, procedures, and other facts which may be useful to understand while going through your divorce litigation. However, every situation is unique so don’t hesitate to reach out to a divorce lawyer Baltimore residents turn to from our firm who can respond to your questions and concerns.
There are many steps to take when it comes to a divorce procedure. To summarize, the common actions that are commonly taken during divorce include the following:
- Filing a complaint or petition (document to request divorce) with the court. Depending on the state, the divorce procedure can be referred to as a dissolution of marriage. A divorce lawyer Baltimore families trust from our firm can file these documents on your behalf.
- A copy of the complaint or petition is officially sent to your spouse, usually by a law enforcement office or a process server. However, if you and your spouse are in agreement this step is not necessary. Upon receiving this notice, your spouse has an allocated amount of time in which to respond.
- Your spouse can either agree to terms listed in the complaint, submit a contest, or not respond at all.
- Necessary documents need to be completed (such as financial paperwork). A divorce lawyer Baltimore individuals rely on from our firm can help you with this as well.
- Contested divorce cases can become complicated (and heated) very quickly. Usually at this point, formal court hearings are scheduled for both spouses to attend. Your Greenberg Law Offices divorce lawyer in Baltimore can accompany you during any required hearings.
Divorce Process Duration
The length of time it takes to complete the divorce process varies according to the state in which you reside and whether or not the ending of marriage was agreed upon by both spouses. There are some additional factors that contribute to how long it takes. They are listed below:
- Residency Requirements: a period of time which both spouses must be a resident of that state, can vary from no waiting at all up to one year.
- Separation Requirements: spouses must be living in separate homes for a certain period of time before a divorce can be obtained. The time range is from no waiting period up to three years.
- Waiting Periods: requires a certain period of time to pass between filing for a divorce and scheduling a hearing in the court or a final judgement. This can range from no wait up to 90 days.
- Other: some states can require mediation of conflicts, attending marriage counseling, or parental education classes for parents to learn how the divorce can affect children. Other factors for waiting periods include how long it takes for other spouse to be served divorce documents, how much of the complaint or petition is contested and court date availability.
Going through a divorce process can be a tedious and strenuous experience if you are parting ways from your partner due to unfortunate events or circumstances. Many people choose to hire a divorce lawyer Baltimore offers, and who can help the divorce process continue to move forward. This is especially important if your spouse is not responsive or is hostile. Talk to a Baltimore divorce lawyer from Greenberg Law Offices to find out how we can be of assistance during this difficult time.
How To Plan For Divorce
If you or your spouse is planning to file for divorce, it may be in your interest to work with a divorce lawyer Baltimore provides from the Greenberg Law Offices who can help protect your rights. Even if you are currently on amicable terms, you can still benefit from the advice of a divorce lawyer Baltimore spouses turn to from our firm. We have successfully handled many family law cases. Our legal team makes every effort to get our clients the results they want and need.
Tips for Starting the Divorce Process
1. Determine which assets are jointly versus individually owned, by whom, and the value of each. Include real property, vehicles, savings, and checking accounts as well as purchased stock and other financial assets. When you work with a divorce lawyer Baltimore residents recommend from the Greenberg Law Offices, you can gain a more thorough understanding of what to focus on.
If you have receipts or other proof of value for as many of the assets as possible, collect and organize them. Be sure to document where the assets are located such as in the home or in a bank account.
2. Make a plan for your children and living situation.
If you have children with your spouse, communicate with them about what is going on and be empathetic to any feelings that may arise. Which parent will likely have custody and where will the children live? Is it far enough away where they will need to change schools? Discuss all of your visitation options with a Baltimore divorce lawyer from Greenberg Law Offices to secure your parental future.
3. Designate who will be your legal representative by hiring a divorce lawyer in Baltimore to protect your rights.
By choosing an attorney from Greenberg Law Offices, you can feel confident that the necessary legal documents will be completed correctly and filed on time. You can also receive legal guidance and advice from your attorney before and during the divorce proceedings. Your Greenberg Law Offices attorney can help you feel empowered to make the right choices for yourself.
4. Choose between mediation or a divorce with collaboration.
A divorce lawyer Baltimore community members trust can provide you with the information you need to make an informed decision about your options. Consider hiring a family therapist who can help your children during this time.
Give us a call at 410-539-5250 to request a free consultation with one of our divorce lawyers at the Greenberg Law Offices. Reach out to us as soon as you make the decision to divorce from your partner so we can immediately begin protecting your assets.
Greenberg Law Offices
When you enlist the legal services of one of our knowledgeable and successful attorneys at Greenberg Law Offices, you can begin planning for a more secure future. Even though you and your partner are making the choice to go in different directions, that does not mean your family has to suffer. Contact us today to arrange a free consultation with a respected divorce lawyer Baltimore offers.