Brain Injury Lawyer
Over 1.7 million people in the United States suffer from traumatic brain injuries (TBIs) each year according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. These injuries range from mild to severe and can affect cognitive, physical and behavioral functions. This means that a person suffering a TBI will likely have difficulties with:
- Memory and reasoning
- Senses, such as taste, touch, and smell
- Communication and speech (including reading and writing abilities)
- Emotional control leading to mood swings, depression, and anxiety
These injuries also come with staggering medical costs from hospital stays to rehabilitation. These costs only rise with the severity of the TBI and can incur throughout the victim’s entire lifetime.
If you or your loved one suffered a TBI due to another party’s negligence, you are able to file a personal injury claim to receive punitive damages that can help offset some of these costs. While the thought of a legal battle in the aftermath of a TBI may seem draining, the benefits highly outweigh the costs. Consulting with a brain injury attorney can help you easily determine whether or not you have a case.
Personal injury cases exist to help those whose injuries or death arose from someone’s negligence. The at-fault party must have breached their duty of care to the victim, resulting in harm. For example, a fall, which is the leading cause of TBIs, could have occured because a store neglected to put out a warning sign after mopping. Other leading TBI causes include blunt trauma, motor accidents, and assault.
If you decide to work with a personal injury attorney to file your claim, you will receive legal guidance and a selection of services. These can include:
- Determining the at-fault party
- Compiling evidence
- Speaking with witnesses
- Conducting thorough investigation into the cause of your injury
- Gathering medical data on your behalf to illustrate the full effects of your TBI
- Filing your claim
- Monetizing your injury to determine the damages you have suffered
- Negotiating with insurance companies and other attorneys on a fair settlement
- Arguing your case in court, if the need should arise
At the end of the day, your lawyer, like a brain injury lawyer from Darrell Castle & Associates, is responsible for ensuring that your rights are upheld through every step of the process. They will be on your side throughout the entire case, advocating for full compensation for the damages you have suffered. They will also be there to answer any questions you have and will guide you through the negotiations, aiding you every step of the way.